Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Gamecock Cottage, Stony Brook, NY

This is a photograph I have been wanting to take for years, but seasons and circumstances have always conspired against me.  But here we are, once again at Stony Brook Harbor, mid summer, overlooking the Long Island Sound, which feeds into the harbor, and this time, time and tides were all working in my favor.

At 1:10 pm, 7/13/16, low tide drained the inlet that separates Shipman's Point from the mainland, and at a depth of no more than two feet, I was able to wade from the shore to the point, welcomed by an army of Fiddler Crabs who scattered at the sound of my arrival.  Now at long last, having the dune to myself I had clear direct access to the Gamecock Cottage.   Standing alone, it is the last of it's breed of small nautical structures that used to line the shores and marsh islands, used by the bay men who plied their nautical trades, supplying the world with fish, clams, oysters, and lobsters.  They are long gone, as is their way of life.  Why and how this one structure survived is a mystery, but survive it did, and at long last, here it is!!!!  I know you've been waiting with bated breath.



Pablo

No comments:

Post a Comment