Sunday, September 6, 2015

A fortunate morning in Abiquiu...

Sunday, September 6, 2015
Just got back from Mesa Verde, Colorado a vast breathtaking (I think I use that word a lot down here) wilderness area of mountains, canyons, cliff dwellings, and mesas, but no cell phone service and no internet.  Don't know how the Native Americans dealt with it.  This is probably why the abandoned the area back around 1250.   This may or may not be the reason they left, but it seems to be as good an explanation as any put forth by the present keepers of the place, the US Park Service, but more about that another time.

Wanted to check in with one lovely photo I took on 9/4 the day we left for Mesa Verde.  It was an overcast, dark and threatening morning in Abiquiu, New Mexico where we spent the night.  Abiquiu is a small dusty photogenic adobe pueblo high in the hills whose main claim to fame was being the home of Georgia O'Keefe during her later years and held great photographic promise for me.

But I was discouraged by the dispiriting weather and settled in for breakfast at the Abiquiu Inn where we had slept, put my order for eggs and toast with green chile when all of a sudden the skies seemed to brighten enough to encourage me to abandon breakfast for a quick dash into town before the skies closed up again.  Got there in time to get the three or four shots I wanted that probably would not have worked out in bright sunlight after all, and I was leaving happy when the sun broke brightly through the clouds, I looked to my left, and standing there in a corner by the steps leading up to an old adobe church were these two old pots shining in the sunlight.




The gods were kind that morning, and some photos are so nice they need their own separate space.  Will try to post the rest of the Abiquiu photos tomorrow.

                                                                      Pablo

No comments:

Post a Comment