Sunday, September 22, 2013

On to Jackson (Hole)...

Don't know if I will be successful, but I am making an effort on this leg of the journey to remain more or less sequential, unless there is some breaking news requiring reportage.  So leaving the Falls, we entered Wyoming heading toward Jackson on Highway 26/89 passing through the southern end of the Tetons...




passing through the low end of the range and a few small mountain villages that didn't seem to catch my eye photographically.  Stopped for gas, a bit of food, and a bottle of Jim Beam in Hoback Junction and we sat or a while eating those little 99 cent pies and watched the trucks go by.   Not too long after we got back on the road, we were in Jackson...




Jackson is a lovely town and a great place for the well off to ski and/or act out their cowboy/rugged individualist fantasies which comes at a price.  I was in this apparently rugged western shop admiring this pretty nice looking rawhide jacket that was me.  If only I had the $1, 750 that faux authenticity seems to cost out there.  It was the same story all over town, so we ended up with a couple of post cards and refrigerator magnets.

We stayed at the Lexington Hotel at the edge of town and liked it a lot.  Got talking to a guy with New York plates who came from Sullivan County, one of my favorites.  Told me he wanted to fly out, but his wife wanted them to drive so they took Interstate 90 here, NY to Chicago non stop he bragged, with a short visit to Rushmore and the Grand Canyon or something, and after the family event they came for, would take Interstate 80 back.  The next morning I was amused to hear him telling some other older guy what a great experience it was to drive across the country (on the interstates!!!).  As I always like to say, "The interstate highway system is a wonderful thing.  It lets you drive all over the United States, and never see America!!!).




That's the Lexington on the left, and I always like a good motel sign.




As I said, the cowboy thing is real big out here, and for some people it really is, for others, it is a cup of coffee and a shot of red eye at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar...








As I was standing there taking this last picture, there was a Japanese tourist near me with a massive black Nikon SLR taking all sorts of pictures of this and that, but never looking up.  I tapped him on the shoulder, not knowing if he spoke English, and pointed to the cowboy sign.  He seemed quite pleased and nodded thankfully and took a few shots.  When we were at the Grand Canyon a few years ago, there was a busload of Japanese tourists looking out and quite animated in conversation.  I asked Jackie if they were saying to each other that if they had just fought a bit harder during WW2, this could have all been theirs, and they could charge those stupid Americans $25 to see it.  As always, Jackie refused to se the humor in this, but I'm sure I did see a stifled smile.

I guess I am yammering on because  while Jackson was quite upscale well manicured and a fun place to spend a few nights , I didn't take many pictures.  We had some very good Italian food at Nani's Cucina on Glenwood St. around the corner from the Lexington.   Can't remember what I had, but I liked it a lot.




I took this at the corner of E. Delony and N. Cache on August 22 and if you squint as you look past the pricey shops, as you look down the street heading out of town, you can see the Lexington Hotel on the left. 

                                                               Pablo








  




No comments:

Post a Comment