Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fargo and my Sammy's Pizza experience...

It's 10:14 in the morning on Tuesday, August 14 and it seems that I've woken up in Fargo North Dakota and I have no idea how I got there.  In fact the only thing I knew about Fargo was what I saw in the movie of the same name, which I now realize has no correspondence to reality.  I've taken this kind of cheesy postcardlike photo down by the railroad station, which I'm sure has been taken by just about everyone who has visited here, but you do need a marker to remember where you were.



Headed down to 8th Street, which you can see in the background after 7th street, because I needed a cup of coffee and something to eat to get me going.  I liked 8th Street, in fact, I liked Fargo in general.  It is still a railroad town and there's nothing I like better with my coffee than sitting and watching a few long monotonous coal trains.


This is positively 8th Street, and no, I did not take any pictures of the coal trains.  There are plenty of them on earlier postings, if you care to dig.


Some buildings that run along the Northern Pacific Avenue on the north side of the tracks...


Broadway, which is the main drag in Fargo, and for an old midwest town that didn't exactly dodge the urban renewal bullet, Broadway remains nicely intact.  Even the infill buildings, like the one between the signs, blend in well.  More or less across the street from White Banner Uniforms, at 301 Broadway, is Sammy's Pizza.




It looked old, dim inside, and unpretentious the way a good pizza place should look, so I ventured in to nose around and liked what I saw.  This is Bryce slicing a fresh one right from the oven in the checkerboard way they like to do it...


I sat down at one of the well worn 1940's or 50's vintage booths and ordered a plain pizza...


The crust was thin and crisp, the sauce was flavorful and well seasoned, the proportion of cheese to crust was perfect, so there was no gloppyness.  It was well cooked and crispy, and since the place is small it was served to us hot enough to burn the roof of your mouth.  Perfection in the most unlikely of circumstances once again.  Good work Bryce.  Loved Fargo and would come back for the pizza if I was in the area, which I may be if I have the craving.  

                                                             Pablo 










No comments:

Post a Comment