Sunday, July 8, 2012

Highway 83...Mayfield

Somewhere about 32 miles north of McCook, about half a mile off the 83 is the town of Mayville, "Nebraska's Best Kept secret", self proclaimed, but an attribute that could easily be attributed to most of the towns and villages of Nebraska and even Nebraska itself, "Nebraska, America's best kept secret".  But maybe that is the magic of the place.


About a quarter mile in from the 83, as we headed down the side road into town, was this barn.  Nebraska is full of barns of all sorts, and coming from upstate New York, barns are ubiquitous and hold no particular interest to me in general,  photographically anyway, so I rarely if ever take pictures of them.  But for some reason, this Mayville barn caught my eye, and the rest is history, as they say....



Down the road you could see the town, the grain elevators, a church steeple, and the main street which was at least 50% abandoned.  There was a small market and a bar, both on the right side of the street, so I'm not sure who was getting the Bud Light delivery, maybe both.  This is the main street.  I guess people make the drive down to McCook for everything else.







These buildings are to my left, next to the metal shed of a structure on the left in the Bud Light picture, empty, and there's not much else, except of course the post office rounds out the picture of what was once a vibrant little agricultural community. 


Still, if I had realized that Maywood was going to be part of a bigger picture, I would have spent more time.  There's always the nagging feeling that I should have done more.  Next time, as always.  I'm starting to think there's a Highway 38 project in my future .  

                                                                       Pablo








No comments:

Post a Comment