Tuesday, December 11, 2018

One Hundred Motels...

For years while we have traveled the country I have always been on the lookout for US Post Offices in the small towns and back road villages of America and have collected quite a bunch.  Every now and then I still come across a good one, but it is getting harder  as the PO seems to reaching and increased degree of irrelevancy and no long seem to care about their image.  They are more of a  bland, nondescript cookie cutter standardized design, or sometimes just a double wide trailer with a USPS sticker on the front, often not even mentioning the name of the place.

While I still take the occasional USPS photo when I find a good one, these days my interest has shifted to motels.  They are also a dying breed, but they are still plentiful and unique if they have not been torn down or replaced by a flat stenciled plastic sheet on a pole.  On our Marfa  pilgrimage I took 5 pretty interesting photos of motel signs to add to the countless ones I have already taken.  As I sit here in our hotel room in Albuquerque where we will be for the next couple of days before we catch our flight back to Albany, I am already planning my next book...One Hundred Motels...Here are the five most recent ones...When I get back it will be time to search the archives for the other  95...This first one was not from the Marfa trip, but might just be good for the cover photo for the book.  This project might be a little less ambitious the Frank Zappa's 200 motels, but I'm no Frank, and in the end it might just be 50 motels...need to check the archives and stay on the road a bit longer.'



Outside of Durango Colorado



Vaughn New Mexico

Vaughn New Mexico



Marfa Texas

Van Horne Texas


Pablo





No comments:

Post a Comment