Monday, June 18, 2012

Speaking of gas...









Sorry we have been out of touch for a while, but we were ambling.  Jackie and I just got back from a month in the midwest, and while there I became aware of my unexpected pleasure in seeing and frequenting Sinclair service stations, which I had forgotten about and just figured that they no longer existed.  They used to be quite common back east in the 1950's and probably before that, with their green and white pumps and the green dinosaur as their logo.  It was probably the logo that was the thing for me.  By the time I become old enough to drive in the mid 60's there were no longer Sinclair stations in  New York, although I didn't realize it back then or give it a second thought.  So I was quite pleasantly surprised to see loads of Sinclair stations in Nebraska, Missouri, and Iowa, and made a point of using them.  Glad to see they are still around, and wondering why we no longer have them back home.  It would be nice to see Dino while out and about in our neighborhood.




While filling up in Council Bluffs, Iowa as we began our long trek back home, I looked out the window and saw this, and a blog entry just flashed through my mind.   It may be a little ideocryncratic, and of interest to no one but me, but so be it.










This is the Sinclair station just outside of Dunning, Nebraska.  It is a gas station, general store, and cafe, where you can get coffee, hot dogs, have a coke and bag of doritos, and just sit in one of the booths and chat.  Kind of the Bagdad Cafe of Dunning, but nothing quite that exotic.  There is nothing else around for 20 miles in any direction.  The only things that seemed open in Dunning were the bar and the post office (see Dunning posting earlier on in this blog).








In the old part of town in Auburn, Nebraska, a Sinclair station as extinct the the dinosaur himself.




Rockport, Missouri

 Sinclair station at Blunt, South Dakota where we filled up for the last leg of our famous Highway 83 amble before crossing the border to Valentine, Nebraska where we would spend a couple of days.  For some reason, the gas was cheaper in SD at the time.




I'm sure this posting will be of little interest to anyone else, but it did turn out to be an interesting segue back to Nebraska.  The unconscious part of it is the interesting thing.  My last postings before we left, were about the anti-fracking (natural gas related) activity going on in Albany.  I hadn't looked at them prior to posting this, but interestingly (to me anyway) this was titled "Speaking of gas":  Get it?  On a totally unrelated subject, but here we are, back in Nebraska.  So where do I go from here; I'm not quite sure myself, so stay tuned...   

                                                                Pablo













No comments:

Post a Comment